BEWARE! Internet Scams

Have you ever chat and suddenly somebody ask for your help? I think for some of us in Kuching, we do experience receiving sms and call of winning lottery. Well, I once got one of those sms and luckily my former office mate, Ah Loong told me it was a total fake. It was funny that the sms was in chinese which i could not read which luckily i had to refer to my friend to translate for me.

Well, the story that i wish to share is far more bizarre (I think!) and somehow i am lucky i was cautious. As i was still working this morning in the office before i write this article directly after the incident, i had my yahoo mesengger online and log into a chatroom. Suddenly, there was a chatter who PM = personal message me telling that she was from Afrika and she was not chating for fun her name was ... to make the story short, be aware of this email and the name of the person who sent it as i sound as follows.

FROM: Mrs Deborah Mpenza
Residence: 147 Illovo Street
Sandton Johannesburg-South Africa .

My name is Mrs. Deborah Mpenza, the wife of Late Mr. George Mpenza. A Zimbabwe business Man, Politician and Farmer. During the current crises against the white farmers in Zimbabwe . Supporters of President Robert Mugabe, who claim all the white-owned farms violently attacked those who opposed the move. My Husband is One of the most successful multi-farmers in our Country and because he did not support Mugabe's ideas, Mugabe's supporters invaded his farm and burnt everything in the farm, killing him and made away with a lot of items in my husband's farm.

Before his death, my husband had deposited with a security company in South Africa the sum of (USD $6MILLION). (The documents of which he only made me aware of it). After the death of my husband , I decided to move to Republic of South Africa where I re-located under political asylum as a refugee to seek for foreign partner overseas that will assist me to move this money out of the security company to his country. As an asylum seeker I am not allowed to operate any Bank Account within South Africa .I have agreed to offer you 10% of the total sum for your assistance as soon as the money gets into your account.I want truth and honesty to be our watch word in this transaction and please treat this transaction as strictly confidential issue for the successful out come of it.

All I want you to do is to furnish me with your personal phone and fax numbers and also your private e-mail address for easy and urgent communication. Note that this transaction is 100% Risk free and absolutely confidential.

Thanks and God bless you.
Sincerely Yours,
Mrs. Deborah Mpenza.

I had to chat for almost an hour with the person : live personal chat and during the chat i had doubts but also sympathy as if the story was true i may be bad to not help as she told me it was a life and death situation which later she emailed me the email above. As the analytical person that i am, i expressed how i really felt and tried to create situations to create conflicts and built trust. I told her to understand my situation as we have yet familiarize. But later while we were chating, i search for her name in the email in google just to find that it was attached to a scam email scheme as link here.

I was still chating with her at the time as i didnt want to create conflict which if she was a hacker, she could already get my handphone number from my Yahoo! ID from my messenger and i would be in trouble.

So, my advice to friends and family, although it good to be kind, protect yourself as frauds come in many ways as mine came from a live chat which then thru my personal email. If I had not get the email, i would have believe the story straight. Thank God i didn't and took precautions.

Lastly, BEWARE OF INTERNET FRAUDS @ SCAMS

P/S: South Afrika is 6 hours late than in Malaysia (e.g. 3 a.m. Malaysian time = 9 p.m. South African time)

Comments

Popular Posts